Thursday, April 23, 2009

We are afraid of the wrong things.

Afraid, other words for afraid - frightened, fearful, terrified, anxious, troubled and scared these are all words that have the same meaning as afraid that you can use in a situation or in a sentence other than ‘afraid’.

Are we afraid of the wrong things? You cannot say that so generally because you do not know what it is that any person at any given time is afraid of.

There are many things that we can be afraid of, and then for the wrong reasons. I think that we are only afraid when we have reason to be afraid. I know that I am only afraid when I feel unsure or have no knowledge on what is just about to happen. There have been so many defining moments in my life, where I have been afraid – going to America just a year after 9/11, almost a week to date that myself and 9 other friends flew over, we were afraid, but it was that ‘what if’ kind of afraid. What if the plane blew up? What if we were held hostage? What if nothing actually happened? And nothing happened we were just afraid for the wrong thing – I learnt a lot about myself on that trip, and we all learnt a lot about each other. Boys get scared too.

I went to New Zealand, flying via Singapore, on my own, I was afraid not afraid of travelling so far on my own, but afraid of meeting a man that was not part of my life for nineteen years, and now wants to be part of my life. I’m afraid of what my life is going to be like once this man is part of my life. Is being afraid of that wrong? I don’t think so because I don’t know what is in stall, but because it is a journey, and learning journey, I think that it is fine to be afraid in this case, afraid to discover the journey – no I am going to embrace it.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should also embrace it, but with a lot of caution...does that even make sense!

    Flying to America must have been pretty scary so soon after 9/11!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes people tend to be afraid of things that they should not be. They fear the unexpected and I would agree with Tanzin's statement when said "There are many things that we can be afraid of, and then for the wrong reasons". So let's not be negatively influenced by our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete