Thursday, April 23, 2009

We are what we do.

If I am there for a friend because she needs someone to talk to, am I a psychologist? If I cook supper at home, am I a chef? If a pick my brothers up from school, and then give one or two of their friends a life home, am I a taxi driver? If I help out a friend, family member, or total stranger in the shop pick out an outfit, does that make me a professional stylist? If someone is hurt and I help them out, does that make me a paramedic?

We are not as we do but as we choose to be at any given moment in time. Yes, sure the things that we do define the person that we are, but those things that we do come as a choice, we think before we do, so what we are is not what we do, because sometimes we do what we do because it needs to be done, to get through and survive so that is what we needed to do.

We are not what we do, on a technical note, there are many people out there that are teachers, technicians, drivers etc, and they are not what they do because they are not enjoying what they do, they have no passion for what they are doing. If you are doing something because you have to and not because you have a passion for it, that is not what you are, therefore you cannot be what you do.

1 comment:

  1. I do not agree with your statement Tanzin because I believe on people's behaviour to determine their personality. Why should one do what not intended to and then you agreed to whatever reason he/she will give! In that case, all criminals should not be condemned as they can get excuses that they did not mean to do what they did. So, people are what they do!

    ReplyDelete